What Is Supernatural Paper™?

Hey, that’s a great question! We seem to get asked this a lot, so allow us to explain. :)  At its core, Supernatural Paper™ is...
What Is Supernatural Paper™?

Hey, that’s a great question! We seem to get asked this a lot, so allow us to explain. :) 

At its core, Supernatural Paper™ is made from tree cellulose from responsibly and sustainably managed forests in Europe. Our Supernatural Paper™ goes a step further to offer some incredible traits that we know you’ll love. Not only is it washable and strong, but since tree cellulose is a renewable resource,  our Supernatural Paper™ has an improved environmental profile compared to petroleum-based materials as well as other materials used for bags. 

Without a doubt, this process is nothing close to other everyday paper bags you’re familiar with. Supernatural Paper™ is real paper pulp from slow-grown trees, bonded with allergen-free latex, making it totally washable — now that’s what we call supernatural. Our bags are lightweight, strong, and have a comfortable look and feel of well-worn leather, which means they get better and more supple with age. 

You can see why our vegan leather is beyond better than actual leather — it’s sustainable, animal-free AND works just as well)! 

Production factory for Supernatural Paper

As for cotton, it is “’very water intensive to cultivate and process’, taking between 10,000 and 20,000 gallons of water to make a single pair of jeans and up to 3,000 to make a T-shirt.”

In contrast, the trees that are harvested to make our Supernatural Paper™ are tended to under Forest Stewardship Council®’s principles. Their guiding principles are to be socially beneficial, environmentally conscious, and economically viable — ensuring the long-term health and ongoing growth of the forests being used. Throughout the production of Supernatural Paper™, 93% of the water used is returned to the ecosystem in the safest condition whereas the other 7% evaporates. Pretty cool, huh? 

So, although other natural materials like cotton are vegan and can be replenished, Supernatural Paper™ starts in well-managed forests while using less water and therefore has improved carbon and water-usage profiles. 

If you would like to learn more about other vegan leathers, click here.

Supernatural paper sustainable material

The outer material of all Out of the Woods bags is made from our Supernatural Paper™, which looks and feels like leather, but is 100% animal-free (now that’s a win-win in our book). As the name suggests, Supernatural Paper™ is an improvement on traditional paper and only enhanced to be durable and made with responsibly sourced resources from managed forests.


Another great question! Our production facility is located outside of Ho Chi Minh, Vietnam where we have been operating for over 10 years! The facility and production operations adhere to the standards of one of the world’s leading ethical trade service providers, Sedex. We are regularly audited for labor standards, health & safety, the environment, and business ethics under SMETA (Sedex Members Ethical Trade Audit Report).

Not only that, but the Supernatural Paper™ manufacturing process is ISO 50001 certified so you can trust it is sustainable. 

“But, Out of the Woods, I don’t know what that means!”

Well, allow us to explain: ISO 50001 is an international energy-management system that helps companies implement efficient energy-usage policy and seek continual improvement through reduction. Our facility adheres to precise standards for efficient energy consumption, and generates 200,000 kWh from water turbines. Focus on reduction through corporate governance systems such as ISO 50001 is key to helping to protect our environment, and we’re here for it! To read more about ISO 50001, click here

Supernatural paper sustainable vegan material

We’re not in the business of fashion to partake in unhealthy, normalized habits - fast fashion is SO last year. We’re here to help make a shift, a pivot towards the idea of accessories and apparel being fashion forward through sustainability and clean manufacturing. 

By using reusable bags like ours, you can save over 500 single-use bags a year. That means, a single person, like yourself, can remove over 22,000 plastic bags from the environment in your lifetime! How does that sound?

Have any more questions? Be sure to reach out to us on Instagram or Facebook!

Let’s make an impact on our planet's future! 🌎

Leave a comment

Please note, comments need to be approved before they are published.