Consumers everywhere are looking for more sustainable options across the board, but it is sometimes hard to locate them amongst the vast array of plastic wrapped products lining the shelves we frequent. Enter the sustainable store - while not a new concept, these stores offer eco-friendly alternatives to for everyday products offered in zero waste packaging, refillable bottles and lots and lots of bamboo.
But wait, what exactly are these wondrous places? Think Willy Wonka's factory, but instead of chocolate rivers, it's a wonderland of package-free goodness. You'll find laundry detergent on tap, spices by the scoop, and cleaning solutions that don't come in neon-colored plastic jugs the size of a toddler made up of chemicals and 90% water.
Now, why should you care? Because, let's be honest, our planet is drowning in plastic. Every year, we generate enough single-use plastic to wrap the earth... four times. And guess where most of it ends up? In landfills, oceans, and even our food.
Sustainable stores that offer zero waste items or on tap refillables are like tiny superheroes fighting this plastic villain. They're all about empowering you to make mindful choices, one refill at a time.
Here's the beauty: it's not just about saving the planet (although that's pretty cool). It's about saving money, buying products that are better for you and the planet, supporting small businesses, and creating demand for products that do better. You're joining a community of change makers who believe that small steps can lead to giant leaps for Mother Earth.
As much as we know about the harmful effects of plastic, it isn’t always as easy as "yes" or "no" to them because our favorite products tend to be wrapped up in fossil fuels. And its not always viable to completely remove plastic from your life. But in the meantime, checking out some of these stores can help you make those conscious choices you’ve already been thinking about. Check out a list below of refillable stores across the US and online!
- Brightly – their goal is to make all consumption conscious. And it’s an online store.
- The Refill Shop – Specializing in vegan home and personal care products, this Ventura, California shop is a must
- Roots Zero Waste Market – The first full service zero waste grocery store and café in the US based in Garden City, Idaho is the perfect one stop shop for conscious consumers
- The Waste Less Shop – Curated goods from small, local and women owned businesses that are intentionally crafted with the health of people and planet at the forefront. Based in Reno, Nevada, this store also offers online shopping!
- Ray’s Reusables – What once started off as a pop up shop making sustainable shopping accessible all over Philadelphia, now has a storefront and online shop! Check them out for everyday sustainable swaps.
- Utility Refill & Reuse – Plastic free made easy with environmentally responsible products for home and body delivered to your door in reusable bottles. The cutest online store!
- Simple Good – Long Island, New York's first Zero Waste Lifestyle Shop
- Byo Long Beach – Offering bulk refillable products alongside organic bath and body care, herbs and spices, dried flowers, cleaning supplies, all housed in zero waste packaging! Located in Long Beach, California.
Our Out of the Woods bags are the perfect companions when refilling, stocking up on essentials or picking out conscious gifts! Make the whole experience more eco-friendly with a bag that does good for you and the planet. Check out our favorite shopping totes here, including the Market Tote as shown below! Did we mention there is a mini version too?!