Homemade Adult Hot Chocolate Recipe
The holidays may look a little different this year, but that does not mean they need to be any less festive. Whether you need the perfect hostess gift for your socially-distanced gathering or simply want to mix up something tasty at home, we found a recipe that will hit the spot: Red Wine Hot Chocolate.
This adult twist on a winter classic is adapted from Wholefully and is customizable for even the most conscious environmentalist.
Chocolate is not only packed with numerous health benefits and antioxidants, but studies have shown that it can also reduce stress and boost energy, perfect for the holiday rush. Just what the good doctor ordered! Try an ethical or fair trade chocolate brand for added feel-good benefits.
Is wine more your thing? Why not consider earth-friendly wines that are limiting their impact on the planet?
There are also dairy-free alternatives to both half-and-half and milk that are easy to swap to make this recipe both vegetarian and dairy-free. Want less calories or sweetness? Replace sugar with Stevia or skip it all together for a ‘drier’ finish.
Pour into a thermos or to-go mug and grab your favorite sustainable tote or insulated cooler for easy travel.
- 2/3 cup semisweet chocolate
- 2/3 cup dry red wine (merlot, shiraz, cabernet sauvignon)
- 1/2 cup milk (or your favorite dairy-free milk alternative)
- 1/2 cup half and half (or your favorite dairy-free milk alternative)
- 2 tablespoons sugar, optional (or Stevia but all depends on the sweetness of your wine)
- Pinch of salt
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Combine the chocolate, wine, milk, half and half and sugar (if using), in a small saucepan over medium-low heat. Heat, stirring constantly, until chocolate is melted and the mixture is hot.
- Remove from heat and stir in the vanilla and salt. Pour into mugs and serve.